September just disappeared

September just disappeared … poff completely gone. Should have come further but then I remind myself that this is a hobby and I have no time pressure, so it takes the time it takes.

I am continueing to work with the sidewalls, sanded, filled and painted. The surface paint is a carpentry paint RAL9002 and a layer of matt clear lacquer has made a fantastic finish. I am super happy with the result.


3D printing requires a lot of work to make the quality acceptable. But install as it gets done. The walls grow slowly.
The cup holder is scaled up slightly to be able to fit an IKEA coffee mug and / or a beer.


The current project is to get to the small shelf where the pilots can store their bags. Will be extremely much sanding work but I will be satisfied.


I have also tested the solinoid on the gear lever, it works all the way down to 12v. But I think it will run on 20v or 24v. Should be built for 28v but 24v can come in handy and be used for other components later in construction.

More on 3d printing

The 3D printer runs hot, prints accessories and gadgets for the sidewalls. Oxygene mask, mic output, cup holder, charts holder, air vents and at the place where the ashtray original is located, there will instead be a USB socket to be able to charge ipads, phone or similar.

Everything gets a treatment with putty and paint. The technology with 3d writing is simply not qualitative enough.

Regarding MSFS2020, it is unfortunately not currently a simulator to build a cockpit on. SimConnect (the software that allows us to communicate with the simulator) does not work, mutiple views there is no support for yet and the whole feeling around the sim is more arcade games than simulator. We simply have to wait until 3rd hand developers come up with more plugins. But with that said, the new MSFS looks great! If you have not tried it yet DO IT!

Sidewalls

The floor was installed fairly quickly, easy installation and plywood was installed on top the construction. When the sidewalls and the new MIP panel are in place, I will cover the floor with 2 or 3 millimeter aluminum sheet metals just like in a real aircraft.

Started with the sidewalls, mostly I build them in 12mm MDF and again follow Karl’s 737DIYSIM sidewalls dimensions. Bought his blueprints for v3 as it will align with both windows and MIP later. The drawings can be found here.

Rounded corners with hand router, I am super happy with the result. Can hardly wait until it is sanded, filled and painted.
Cup Holder is again Karl’s design, available for free download at thingiverse. After the print to get a nicer finish, the 3d print is also sanded and filled before painting. Pictures will come when the painting work is completly done.

CNC update.

An update about the CNC milling machine. Assembled the parts I have yet to receive. Still waiting for the rest from China. I am very pleased with the design so far. Feels stable and the IO cards are in place with the socket for the transformer.
The size of the bed is 300mm x 600mm. The bottom plate will be made out of plywood 12mm thick. Squeegee protection on the sides will be detachable, so it is possible to cut slightly larger items in sections.
Looking forward to the day I can show a video on the machine in action.


It feels like I’m all over the place with my projects, but waiting times that this hobby entails makes it almost impossible to start at one end and end at the other. Multiple projects are the progress I will keep. The upgrade of the 3D printer is almost done and then I will continue to print the parts to the gear leaver handle.

One thing after another…


I have had my 3D printer for just over a year now, and it has worked absolutely superbly. Until a few weeks ago. It started crashing into the bed and it turned out it was a circuit board that had broken. Instead of buying new I upgraded to my Wanhao Duplicator 9 to the MKII kit and Antclabs BL Touch sensor which includes a new circuit board. Since then, the printer has been struggling with stuck plastic. Researched the web and instead of troubleshooting and fixing I also took the opportunity here to upgrade the machine with Bondtech extruder but when I removed the print head I simultaneously broke the hotend, so now I sit again waiting on the mailman for a new swiss hotend.


Furthermore, I will soon start renovating the room which will be the dedicated simulator room and the remaining areas will be used as workshop, with 3D printer, CNC milling machine and soldering station. At present, we are still cleaning out all the old crap we have accumulated over the years.


For MIP I have cut out the backplate, and the frame that will hold the construction together is assembled. While I wait for the new hotend I will continue with the CAD drawing and clean in the upcoming simulator room.

Tools

Sometime during a cockpit build comes the need for a 3D printer. Maybe not a must, but a terribly helpful one. I turned on a D9 with a 300x300x350 printbed. It has been a faithful servant and helped me to print buttons, boxes and tools.

But pretty soon into the building, the 3D printer is not enough, a cnc cutter would do much of the job better. I found on thingiverse a Polish guy Nikodem, who has made and shared a printed milling machine. Very popular and looks really promising. Designed for milling in wood and plastic but many users have also succeeded in milling aluminum. So with the help of the 3D printer I now build a DIY Dremel CNC.

All printed parts are ready. Waiting for ordered parts from Asia. At present the world is in the Covid-19 crisis so transport takes longer than normal. But I hope I will be able to get the parts home soon so I can assemble the machine and start testing CNC before the summer. Meanwhile, I get help from a friend who already has a bad ass 1×1 meter industrial machine.